5 Garden Plants That Are Poisonous

As you are setting up your summer garden, you might be looking for various new plants that you can plant in your garden. Watch out though! Some beautiful plants might be more dangerous than you thought! If you are wondering what type of plants to avoid planting, read our list to learn about 5 garden plants that are poisonous.

 

1. Hydrangeas

Hydrangeas come in beautiful pinks or blues, but did you know they are poisonous? The entire hydrangea plant is poisonous! If ingested, hydrangeas can cause shortness of breath, fainting dizziness, convulsions, and sometimes even death. Hydrangeas are beautiful flowers, but if you think they are too dangerous for your household, it would be best to avoid planting them.

 

2. Rhododendron

Rhododendrons are shrubs and prefer to live in neither hot nor cold weather. They are a popular choice to plant in gardens, but rhododendrons are very toxic! In fact, ingesting any part of this flower can result in difficulty breathing, paralysis, and even a coma. Before purchasing a rhododendron plant, ensure that the place you are planting it in will be safe for humans and animals.

 

3. Rhubarb

Rhubarb is a popular tasty fruit to eat in the summer! However, if harvested incorrectly, rhubarb can actually be deadly. The thick red stalks are edible and flavourful, but the leafy green parts can cause damage to your body. If you eat too much of the leafy part, your kidneys can shut down! If you are planning on harvesting rhubarb, it is crucial that you understand the proper way to harvest the fruit, so that no harm is caused to anyone.

 

4. Lilies Of The Valley

Lilies of the valley have one of the most amazing fragrances! However, although they smell fantastic, they are very poisonous. If the leaves are swallowed, it can cause headaches, irritability, and hallucinations. The poison in this plant is also known to slow down the heart which can lead to death. While you can still grow lilies of the valley in your garden, it is important to understand your surroundings and the humans or animals that will encounter this plant. Once you believe the area is secure, then you can go ahead and plant this flower.

 

5. Daffodils

While not the most toxic on this list, daffodils are still dangerous especially for children and animals. Daffodils can cause nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and convulsions in children. If an animal ingests daffodils, they can experience heart problems and breathing problems. If you have young children or pets around the house, it is important that you plant the daffodils in a fenced off area, or in a place where you can make sure your children and pets cannot reach them.

 

Checking whether a plant is poisonous or not is important to do before purchasing it! While poisonous plants can be one problem you come across while gardening, another issue you might find are pests. If pests are ruining your garden, you can check out our organic high-performance neonic-free bio-pesticide products to save your beautiful plants from being destroyed. Click here!

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Get In Touch

We are a Canadian bio-tech company working to make the world a better & greener place. Contact us if you have any comments or concerns!

0
Your Cart